Advice for faculty on working and COVID

What are my rights and obligations as an employee?

To learn more about your right to safe working conditions versus your obligation to refrain from “insubordination,” consult this UFF MEMO: Right to refuse unsafe working conditions

How do I apply for accommodations due to my health?

The UF Office for Accessibility and Gender Equity is responsible for processing Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations for those identified as at increased risk for COVID by the CDC. Information and accommodation request forms are available here.

ADA requests for accommodation may be made at any time, but the university is requesting documentation by October 19 for the purposes of spring course scheduling.

The Florida Department of Education (FEA) Department of Legal Services has created a Toolkit to assist members in obtaining reasonable accommodations under the ADA which have arisen due to COVID-19, available here.

I don’t qualify for ADA accommodations, but I don’t want to teach face-to-face. Do I have other options?

Yes. Other leaves include Family Medical Leave (FMLA) and paid sick leave. More information is available here.

How do I file a grievance?

A grievance is a formal complaint made by a faculty member about a violation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

If you are a UFF-UF member, and you feel you have grounds to file a grievance, or if you have a meeting with a supervisor that you feel may be related to disciplinary action, contact our grievance team at

UFF-UF Grievance Form

Faculty speak out

Read our REPORT: Faculty Feedback: Furloughs & F2F Teaching in Spring 2021

Reopening would force us to fake normalcy, by Aida A. Hozic, Tampa Bay Times, October 15, 2020.

UF’s return plan is premature, hazardous, by Norman J.W. Goda Gainesville Sun October 14, 2020.

Sign the PETITION: Demand Gov. Ron DeSantis protect our colleges and universities