Why you should join
Florida is a “right to work” state. That means that membership in the union that represents you at the bargaining table is not automatic. In other words, you can enjoy many of the benefits of union representation without paying dues. However, your membership contributes to UFF-UF’s collective voice, making us all more effective whether lobbying the in the state legislature or negotiating our Collective Bargaining Agreement. Our collective strength comes back to you in increased salary and improved working conditions.
In addition, membership provides a number of specific benefits that are only for dues-paying members and their families. These include:
As a UFF-UF member, you can receive UFF representation should you need to file a grievance. You also have the right to UFF representation in any meeting with a supervisor that may result in disciplinary action. Non-members must either represent themselves or hire outside legal assistance. This is a benefit that can potentially save you tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees.
A voice in defining UFF priorities and plans
UFF-UF is led by its members. We define our plans and priorities collegially and democratically. As a member, you have a say in all matters concerning UFF, including how we negotiate our contract, how we defend faculty rights and due process, and who represents us as UFF officers.
Florida Education Association (FEA), our parent organization, and our national affiliates — AFT and NEA — have partnered with merchants you know and trust to provide discounts year-round.
Follow FEA Member Benefits on Facebook for up-to-date info on existing benefits and limited-time offers.
- The FEA/Access card delivers savings of up to 50% off at more than 350,000 premier shops, restaurants, hotels, retailers and more – across the country and even right in your own neighborhood!
- MyDeals is the FEA/Access mobile app (Google Play and Apple App Store) and gives you show-your-phone discounts at 250,000 places.
- AFT+, the American Federation of Teachers benefit program, offers financial, insurance and travel discounts and member services.
- Many of AFT’s member benefits can be accessed via the Union Plus app (Google Play and Apple App Store).
- NEA Member Benefits also offers members-only insurance programs, financial services and discounts designed to meet your ever-changing needs.
- NEA Educators Employment Liability Program provides members with protection from personal financial liability stemming from employment-related lawsuits. NEA supports state “hold harmless” legislation which requires that the employer pay for your defense or related damages in case you are sued. However, since this is not law in Florida—and because the liability potential can be so serious for individuals—NEA provides all UFF members with professional liability insurance through the NEA Educators Employment Liability (EEL) Program.
- Yet another NEA Member Benefit is Student Loan Debt Relief Webinars. Each webinar is capped at 100 participants, so if you are interested be sure to register ASAP.
- Gainesville Vision gives an additional 10% off eyeglasses for UFF members. Schedule online at GainesvilleVision.com. When asked “How did you hear about our office”, type UFF.
In addition to our state and national benefit programs, UFF/FEA members benefit from our ongoing relationship with a team of partners:
- NTA Life provides supplemental health and life insurance products and services to educators.
- Creative Benefits for Educators is owned by the locals of UFF/FEA and was created to make it easy for teachers and school employees to find the best insurance, retirement and financial programs available.
Who can join
UFF-UF Bargaining unit members
Any member of the University of Florida bargaining unit is eligible to join the UF Chapter of United Faculty of Florida. The bargaining unit is specified in Appendix A of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. It includes faculty and other professionals in colleges and units including CLAS, Engineering, Arts, Business, HHP, Libraries, Education, Journalism, CWC, and PK Yonge School. We represent both tenure track and non-tenure-track faculty. If you have any questions about whether or not you are in the bargaining unit, you are welcome to contact us for assistance.
If you are not in the bargaining unit (as is the case for faculty and professional staff in IFAS, Law, Health Sciences, Dentistry, Medicine), you can still join UFF as an “at-large” member of United Faculty of Florida. At-large members receive all the same benefits as any other UFF member, including grievance representation, legal representation, and the right to representation in disciplinary matters. However, the terms of their employment are not subject to the collective bargaining agreement negotiated by UFF-UF.
Retired faculty can be part of a statewide network that allows members to stay connected with fellow National Education Association, American Federation of Teachers, Florida Education Association and United Faculty of Florida members and programs. FEA/UFF-Retired members work to improve and strengthen the programs that affect retired educators: the Florida Retirement System, health benefits, public education, and Medicare and Social Security.